Posted on - Oct 16, 2018

By Catherine Sas Q.C.

Catherine Sas Q.C.

As of October 17, 2018, cannabis will now be legal for recreational use in Canada. The new laws permit individuals to possess, use and grow cannabis – also commonly referred to as marijuana or pot. While “recreational use” of “pot” will now be permitted in Canada, there are still many restrictions that apply. What does this mean for people coming to Canada whether to visit, work, study or live permanently?

The Federal government has provided for the legal possession of marijuana as set out in the Cannabis Act. The Act provides that an individual 18 years of age or older, may possess up to 30 grams of “licit” or legal cannabis and no more than four plants for cultivation. An individual can not possess ANY illicit cannabis, nor any budding plant in a public place. Trafficking, importation, distribution and production of cannabis for individuals are all prohibited except as described above. So, an adult is restricted as to how much cannabis they can lawfully possess and grow in the comfort of their own private property. The Act further provides that the Provinces and Territories will be responsible for determining how cannabis is sold in their jurisdictions and they have the added authority to set further restrictions such as:

  • lowering the limits from lawful possession to less than 30 grams;
  • increasing the minimum age for lawful possession to above 18 years of age;
  • restricting the locations for personal use; and
  • making further requirements for growing plants for personal use.

This means that individuals need to be aware of what the applicable laws are in each province or territory that they may be living in or visiting to ensure that the use of cannabis is permitted in that jurisdiction.

It is important to be aware of the difference between licit and illicit marijuana. Possession or cultivation of licit (legal) marijuana is permitted whereas possession or cultivation of illicit (illegal) marijuana will still attract criminal penalties. Transport of cannabis, even medically prescribed cannabis, across international borders remains illegal. In most countries possession of cannabis remains illegal and subject to a criminal conviction. Bringing legal marijuana into Canada from another country is not permitted nor is bringing legal Canadian marijuana into another country. While possession of cannabis for personal use is now permitted in Canada, carrying it across an international border is not and can result in either a Canadian or foreign criminal conviction. A criminal conviction or commission of an offence has serious consequences for both temporary residents (visitors, students, foreign workers) and permanent residents. A criminal conviction or a determination that a person has committed an offence (such as illegal possession in a foreign jurisdiction) can result in a person being found to being criminally inadmissible to Canada and denied entry for five years or more. It can also result in the loss of permanent residence status!

A further complication is the current legal status of cannabis possession or use in the United States. Several US states have legalized the personal use of marijuana including border states such as Alaska, Washington and Vermont. However, marijuana remains a prohibited drug in the US and possession of cannabis constitutes a federal criminal offence as does transporting it across the border. Whether purchasing lawful pot in British Columbia or in Washington State, bringing it across the border is illegal. Furthermore, the US government considers the possession or use of illicit drugs to be a crime of moral turpitude and border officials can impose a lifetime ban of entry into the United States. Even admitting to ever having used cannabis can result in being barred entry into the US – for life!

As Vancouver immigration lawyers we have noticed that while the laws in Canada for the use of recreational marijuana have changed, there is still a lot to be determined. Cannabis users are advised to proceed cautiously. Here are a few guidelines:

NEVER bring ANY form of cannabis across any international border.

If you do bring cannabis into Canada, be sure to DECLARE it to CBSA.

Do NOT use or purchase cannabis in ANY foreign jurisdiction, even US states which permit cannabis use. It still is a federal offence in the United States and Canadian border officials can determine that you have committed an offence and deny you entry to Canada – for more than 5 years.

Be sure that you are familiar with the laws for using cannabis in any province or territory that you are visiting.

Never give or share cannabis with anyone under the age of 18.

Catherine Sas, Q.C. is a Vancouver immigration lawyer at Sas & Ing Immigration Law Centre in Vancouver, BC Canada. Catherine has been practicing law for over 25 years, and has been voted Vancouver’s Best Immigration Lawyer by the Georgia Straight newspaper for 6 consecutive years.

To learn more about immigrating to Canada, becoming a permanent Canadian resident or bringing your family to Canada, email Catherine Sas or call her at 1-604-689-5444.

Share this article:

Related Topics: , ,

Related Posts

Immigration Minister Announces Immigration Levels Plan for 2016 On March 8, 2016, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, the Honourable John McCallum, announced the overall immigration targets for 2016. Ordinarily, the Minister is required to provide his annual report to Parliament on or before Novembe...
What’s Happening on my File? Understand Canada’s Immigration Processing Standards At the end of February 2018, the Canadian government announced its commitment of $440 million to help Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC”) fulfill its goal of increasing overall immigration levels over the next three years.
Are you ready to sponsor your parent or grandparent for 2015? Tens of thousands of sponsored family members are admitted to come to Canada every year as permanent residents. While the majority of family members admitted are spouses and partners, the second largest category of admitted family members are the parents ...
What’s the best way for me to sponsor my spouse already in Canada? The question of how to sponsor your spouse who is already in Canada seems like a rather simple one. Indeed if you put that question to a CIC call centre representative, their answer is almost always as follows: "If your spouse is in Canada you use the ...
Authorized immigration representatives and the Canadian dream Our Vancouver immigration law office is a busy place. We have individuals, families and businesses seeking our guidance on a range of Canadian immigration matters, including work and study permits, sponsorship applications and representation in the Federa...
Minister of Immigration Changes Formula for Points Scoring under Express Entry The Minister of Immigration recently announced changes to the Express Entry system that will help certain skilled immigrants, especially those that have completed post-secondary studies in Canada, obtain Canadian permanent residence. Starting November 19...